We all know sleep is essential to everyday life. Below are some amazing facts about sleep that you probably did not know:
· It's impossible to tell if someone is really awake without close medical supervision. People can take cat naps with their eyes open without even being aware of it.
· A new baby typically results in 400-750 hours lost sleep for parents in the first year.
· Certain types of eye movements during REM sleep correspond to specific movements in dreams, suggesting at least part of the dreaming process is analagous to watching a film.
· Elephants sleep standing up during non-REM sleep, but lie down for REM sleep.
· Seventeen hours of sustained wakefulness leads to a decrease in performance equivalent to a blood alcohol-level of 0.05%.
· Some sleeping tablets, such as barbiturates suppress REM sleep, which can be harmful over a long period.
· Ten per cent of snorers have sleep apnoea, a disorder which causes sufferers to stop breathing up to 300 times a night and significantly increases the risk of suffering a heart attack or stroke.
· Snoring occurs only in non-REM sleep.
· Most of what we know about sleep we've learned in the past 25 years.
· As a group, 18 to 24 year-olds deprived of sleep suffer more from impaired performance than older adults.
· Experts say one of the most alluring sleep distractions is the 24-hour accessibility of the internet.
· The extra-hour of sleep received when clocks are put back at the start of daylight in Canada has been found to coincide with a fall in the number of road accidents.